Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Book Review: The Story Keeper (Carolina #2)

Today's review is on The Story Keeper by Lisa Wingate

I read the first book in this series, The Prayer Box, last year and I enjoyed it, and the title of this novel intrigued me, even though I didn't read the summary.The Story Keeper was an interesting read as it switches between the present day  and a novel that the main character Jenn finds on her desk. I liked it, and I wish Lisa Wingate would publish the rest of the story of The Story Keeper.

However, even though it was an enjoyable read, it was hard for me to get into it, in fact I only really started enjoying it after the 3rd or 4th chapter. I don't know why I felt like that, maybe I wasn't in a good mood, I don't know, because there wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, except it was kind of slow paced.

It seemed to pick up once Jenn started trying to find out who wrote the Story Keeper. Along the way she has to come to terms with the past she left behind when she went to New York.

At first Jenn did not seem like a likable character, until you find out a bit more about her past and the challenges she had to overcome to get to where she was at the beginning of the novel. She becomes even more likable when she has to meet with her family, and I liked how she did not allow them to bully her (you'll have to read the book to find out more).

It was some what predictable who the author of The Story Keeper was once Jenn announced her suspicions, however it was still a nice read. This is  the kind of book you could read over a weekend or when you are on vacation. Even though it is 400 pages long,  once you get past chapter 4 it is a quick read.

The nice thing about the novel is that it is really a stand-alone book, so you don't need to read The Prayer Box before reading this novel, or any of the novellas that are also a part of the series. This is a good series if you like Christian fiction, or if you are just looking for a clean read.

I am looking forward to reading more books by Lisa Wingate in the future.

Happy Reading,

Janelle

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment