Friday, October 30, 2015

Book Review: Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3)

Today's review is on the third installment of the Lunar Chronicles, Cress.



This is not only a continuation of the series, but it is also kind of  a retelling of Rapunzel. There are even some elements of this retelling that reminded me of Tangled, but it wasn't a rip-off of the movie.

It was full of action, intrigue, romance and there are a few twists throughout the novel that continue to make this series fantastic. I loved the characters, I loved how we got to know Carswell Thorne a bit more than in Scarlet. Another new character is introduced, Cress, who is a skilled, Lunar hacker.

I can't go into too much detail concerning the plot because I might accidentally give spoilers for the first two books in the series. But the as I mentioned before, the plot was good, and there was action and many twists. I liked how Marissa Meyer was able to write from multiple points of view in the third person, sometime when an author does this it is confusing, but she pulls it off masterfully. In fact, there was even chapter from Queen Levana's point of view.

The characters continue to be well-developed and they don't annoy me like some of the main characters in other YA books I have read. I love how in each book each character keeps becoming more developed, even Cinder, which I didn't even know was possible.

 Each book just keeps getting better and better in this series. I hope Marissa Meyer is able to do the same thing with the conclusion of the series, Winter, which comes out next month (!!). So far the YA series' I have read the conclusion was unsatisfying, but hopefully Marissa Meyer can satisfy her fans, especially since she pushed the release date back by about 6 months.

I listened to half of Cress and read the last half, not because I didn't like the narrator, it's just I was having a hard time trying to find time to listen to it, whereas it is easier for me to just sit down and read.

In order to help me pass the time until Winter comes out, besides school and work, I plan on reading/listening to Fairest which is a prequel to the series and is Queen Levana's story.

Happy Reading,
Janelle

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment