Thursday, November 12, 2015

Book Review: Saving Wishes

Today's review is on Saving Wishes by G.J. Walker-Smith
The author was new to me, but I was intrigued by the fact that she was from Australia and that the book was also set in Australia - Tasmania to be precise. It is the first book in the Wishes series and I got for free on Kindle. 

It was interesting reading a book that was not set in U.S or the U.K., but there were some words I had to look up because they are only used in Australia and New Zealand. This was a little bit irritating but at the same time it was interesting. 

The love story was kind of predictable, especially what happened in the end. The major plot twist that occurs was okay, but there was no build up to it, it just all of a sudden came up. I felt like the characters could have been developed a bit more, they all felt two-dimensional. The ending felt rushed, and it was kind of far-fetched, I can't say to much about it because it will spoil the whole book. 

The main character Charli was well developed except for the fact that she is a complete idiot. Her brother Alex was okay but I felt like his relationship with his girlfriend needed to be developed more. Charli's best friend, Nicole, also could have been better developed, especially with what she ends up doing near the end of the book. Another character, Gabrielle, Charli's French teacher  is a bad teacher with some of the stuff she allows her students to get away with. 

With everything I've said so far about the book makes it sounds pretty bad, but honestly it's not, it was kind of a nice read over a weekend, and it was pretty quick. One thing to keep in mind is that it is the author's debut novel and she self-published, so there are going to be some quirks in it that might not be in a novel that is traditionally published. Even though the novel could have been better, it was still good considering it was published without the teams of people that traditionally published authors usually have. 

Will I read the rest of the series? Maybe,  probably just the second book to find out what happens next but besides that I don't know. 

I am giving this book 2.5/5 Stars because even though I liked it there were a lot of things that needed to be improved. 

Happy Reading, 
Janelle 

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment