Friday, December 11, 2015

Book Review: Winter (Lunar Chronicles #4)

Today's review is on Winter by Marissa Meyer
Ever since I started reading the Lunar Chronicles series in May, this has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2015. I was not disappointed! Marissa Meyer did a good job with concluding the series on a high note.

Winter is basically a retelling of Snow White, but it also concludes the stories of Cinder, Scarlet and Cress. I loved how the author used the various elements of the fairy tale to bring the story to life without it seeming like a regurgitation. Winter is the villain's step-daughter but based on Lunar tradition she cannot become the next queen. However, as in the original story, Queen Levana is still jealous of Winter's beauty and one thing leads to another (I don't want to say too much because it will spoil some of the plot).

Winter is also kind of insane because she refuses to use her Lunar gift and as a result of suppressing it she has crazy hallucinations (again, I can't say too much, read the book!). Her best friend is Jacin who is a part of the royal guard and basically answers to her stepmother. Their relationship is sweet and complicated at the same time.

The novel takes place on Luna - the moon. Meyer does a good job of describing this world and it felt like I was there.

There isn't really anything else I can say without giving too much of the plot away, but fans will be satisfied with this conclusion and don't worry Meyer does not do what Veronica Roth did in Allegiant (Divergent #3).

Even though I really loved this book, I am sad to see the series end and to say goodbye to the world and the characters that I had come to love. I am looking forward to the release of the short story anthology, Stars Above which comes out early next year. :)

I know I have probably said this in my other reviews of Marissa Meyer's books, but I am a huge fan and I will continue to read her works in the years to come.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment