Thursday, January 14, 2016

Book Review: Like Dandelion Dust

Today's review is on Like Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury. 



This was the first Karen Kingsbury book I have read in almost two years, and I mainly read it because one of the groups I belong to on Goodreads was reading it last August. I stopped reading her books when I read the last book of the Baxter Family saga because I found that her books have become too much like a soap opera and she used to much of her personal life in the story, especially in the Bailey Flannigan series. I also felt that she quoted the same verse all the time, Jeremiah 29:11, and that the characters sang the same song all the time, How Great Thou Heart (this is a great song, but this is the go to song for ALL of the characters, there are some other great hymns that could also be used). And I felt like she became too judgmental towards the character that weren't  perfect cookie-cutter Christians.

I apologize if the above sounds like a rant but I felt like I needed to explain why I don't really read her books anymore. That being said, Like Dandelion Dust reminded me why I used to love her books.

I loved the plot, and it really makes you think what you would do in the same situation, if the birth parents of the child you've raised since he was a few days old decided they wanted him back what would you do. This was definitely interesting to show how it played out. I loved the characters, especially Joey because he is just lovable. The characters actually seemed realistic in this book, as opposed to some of Karen Kingsbury's other books.

The one thing I did not like about the book is how Beth's (Molly Campbell's sister) conversion story was the exact same conversion story of Karen Kingsbury, word for word, which can be found on her website. The only reason I didn't like this is because the author seems to do this in a lot of her books and it kind of shows a lack of creativity.

I liked this book, and it made me consider reading some Karen Kingsbury's latest releases, however it wasn't great.

I am giving this book 3/5 Stars.

Happy Reading,
Janelle

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment