Sunday, January 31, 2016

What I Read in January

I can't believe January is already over, I feel like just yesterday it was the first. Anyway, this month was a pretty good reading month, and I finished a couple of the books on my TBR list. I did have a slow start in regards to reading because I was taking a one week Winter class. But I still managed to finish seven books. Let's get started!

1. Silverglade- The Dream by Richard Lewis Grant. 

I really enjoyed this book. It is the first book in a fantasy series for Middle-grade readers but people of all ages will enjoy it. 4/5 Stars

2. Hearthland Episode 34 by Chautona Havig 

It is interesting to see how the loose ends are starting to get tied up. I am going to be sad when I finish the final episode soon. 3/5 Stars.

3. This Song is (Not) for You by Laura Nowlin 

This book was just okay. I kept hoping something amazing was going to happen but nothing ever did. I will have a longer review up soon. 2/5 Stars.

4. With This Ring? by Various Authors

I loved this collection of four novellas. All four of these authors were new to me and I loved each of their different styles. I also loved that the stories didn't get super cheesy. 4/5 Stars

5. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

I was actually supposed to finish reading this at the beginning of December for a class, but I never did. I finally got a chance to finish it this month. This was a re-read for me, and I still love it! 4/5 Stars

6. The De-moralization of Society by Gertrude Himmelfarb

First off, this is a non-fiction history book and I read it in preparation for my senior thesis. I usually don't read a lot of non-fiction books because I find them boring, but this book was so good. I loved Gertrude Himmelfarb's writing style and it wasn't to tedious to read. This is a must-read if you are interested in the Victorian Era, as well as finding out why it has the title that it does. 5/5 Stars.

7. HearthLand Episodes 35 & 36 by Chautona Havig. 
The concluding two episodes of another great serial novel by Chautona Havig. I loved the ending, even though I still wanted more, hopefully we will be visiting HearthLand again very soon. It was sad to say goodbye to these characters. 4/5 Stars for the whole series.

I am hoping February will also be a good month, but it might be hard since school has started up again.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment