Thursday, February 4, 2016

Book Review: This Song Is (Not) For You

Today's review is on This Song Is (Not) For You by Laura Nowlin.

I received this book as an Advanced Reader Copy from Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire.

This Song Is (Not) For You tells the story about a boy and a girl who are in a band together and they love each other but they haven't told each other how they feel. One day they meet another boy and invite him to join the band and Ramona (the girl) falls in love with Tom (the new guy).

There was so much I expected to happen in this novel that didn't happen. I expected the characters to struggle a lot more with their emotions which never happened. There were also certain things that happen near the end of the book and the author doesn't really give much of an explanation for those events. I felt like there wasn't any buildup at all, just things happen and that is that.

I did enjoy the fact that the author told the story from all three of the main characters points of view, however it fell kind of flat at times or there were times the story was being told from Sam's ( the first boy) perspective and I felt like I was in Ramona's head instead. There was almost no character development at all, at least in my opinion.

One other good thing about this book is that it is a quick read and could probably be read in a day or two.

I know my review has been kind of vague but there isn't really much I can say without giving away the whole entire novel. Honestly I didn't like it, I felt like there was so much more that could have happened or things that could have been explained better.

I am giving this book 2/5 Stars because even though it was a quick read, there were things that were left unexplained and none of the characters seemed to develop over the course of the novel.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment