Thursday, February 11, 2016

Book Review: With This Ring?

Today's review is on With This Ring?, a collection of novellas by various authors. 
Before I launch into my thoughts on each of these stories, I just want to say that this was the first time I have read anything written by each of these authors and I really enjoyed each story in this collection. Let's get started!

The Husband Maneuver by Karen Witemeyer: 
 I really enjoyed this story because it wasn't super cheesy. I also liked how the romance seemed to develop over a period of time instead of just love at first sight like most novellas. I loved the extracts at the beginning of each chapter taken from the dime novels that the heroine reads, it just seemed to make the story more interesting. Witemeyer did a good job of explaining why Daniel (the male lead) hadn't yet pursued a relationship with Marietta (the leading lady). I am giving this story 3.5/ 5 Stars because it was really sweet and it was unpredictable at times.

Her Dearly Unintended by Regina Jennings: 
Again I was surprised by this novella, there were several scenes where I expected it to be super cheesy but it wasn't. The story opens up with Josiah being stranded with Katie Ellen and the have to pretend to be married when a stranger shows up. There were several funny moments in this story and it was interesting to see how the story panned out. I am giving it 3.75/ 5 stars because it was an original take on a love story without being cheesy.

Runaway Bride by Mary Connealy: 
I didn't enjoy this story as much as the other two stories. It was interesting  even though I didn't really like the love story between the two characters because it was a love at first sight kind of relationship. I can't say too much about this story because it is a spoiler, but basically it is about a young woman who runs away from an arranged marriage to a cruel older man. 3.5/5 Stars.

Engaging the Competition by Melissa Jagears: 
This was a cute story, and I liked the story line a lot. However, Charlie, (the female main character) kind of annoyed me at times and so did Harrison. But I loved the ending, even though I felt that it was a bit rushed. 3.5/5 Stars.

Overall: 
With This Ring? is one of the best Christian Fiction short story collections I have read, all the other were good, but I feel like the stories in this one weren't cheesy or predictable. I will definitely be checking out the work of each of these authors because I really enjoyed their writing styles. I am giving this collection 4/5 Stars.

Thanks to Netgalley and Bethany House Publishers for giving an ARC of this collection to review for my honest opinion.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L.C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment