Friday, March 18, 2016

Book Review: Moby Dick

Today's review is on Moby Dick by Herman Melville 

I have a long to-be-read list, and on that list are a lot of classics, some of which I will never get to in my life time. I believed Moby Dick by Herman Melville would be one of those books. It wasn't that I didn't want to read it, it is just that I have so many books I want to read and so little time to read them. Fast forward to my first class of Age of Romanticism in Fall 2015 and my professor decided to add Moby Dick to the required reading, I was really excited that I would finally have a reason to read this novel.

If you have read Moby Dick before you know that it is not an easy feat. Yes, it is a narrative about the hunting of a whale called Moby Dick, but in between sections of the narrative, Melville goes completely crazy describing anything and everything relating to whales and the ship. By the end of this novel I knew more about whales than I ever cared to know. But even with these passages of insanity, and what would probably seem kind of boring is an amazing work of art that drags the reader into the sublime.

Through Melville's attention to these details one actually feels like they are aboard the Pequod trying to hunt the cured white whale. Not only that but psychologically the reader experiences what life aboard a ship would have been like when there major lulls on the sea.

This is a must read for everyone, especially book lovers. It might seem boring at first but it is seriously the most insane books I have ever read in that it is both boring and fascinating at the same time.

I am giving this book 5/5 Stars because it is a work of art and it does not get nearly the appreciation it deserves.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment