Friday, April 22, 2016

Book Review: The Atonement

Today's review is on The Atonement by Beverly Lewis


It has been several years since I have read a book by Beverly Lewis, and it was great to revisit the Amish of Lancaster County in this book. It took me a while to get into it, but once I hit the 50 page mark I flew through it because I had to get answers.

Once again, Lewis does a great job of describing the Amish culture. She weaves a tale that should how holding onto the past can hinder moving on in the future. The main character, Lucy, is 25 and not married yet and it all has to do with something that happened to her when she was 20/21. Her relationship with her father is also strained. However, over the course of the novel, through the various people she comes into contact too, she finds redemption for her past and she is able to move on.

I can't go into detail about what happened because it will give away a lot of the novel. But the synopsis is kind of misleading because it mentions the character Dale, and it comes across as if he is going to have a big role in the novel and that the novel would also be told from his perspective, but it isn't. The only times he was seen was if he was interacting with Lucy and her father, Christian.

I did not like how Lucy's past was revealed in small snippets throughout the novel, because I felt like the same phrase was used every time she is thinking about her past. I also found the characters to be little bit flat at times.Although I loved the characters of Clinton and Dorothea and how their story in way kind of foreshadows what will happen to Lucy in the end.

 The story was somewhat predictable, except the ending which was a nice because I hate it when the whole novel is predictable. Like I mentioned before it was a good look at redemption and forgiveness and how holding onto the past can make us bitter. It was great to read Beverly Lewis's work again, and I look forward to reading more of her novels in the future.

I am giving this book 3.75/5 Stars because even though I enjoyed the novel and read through it quickly, the plot wasn't the greatest and a lot of the characters were not well-developed.

Thanks to NetGalley and Bethany House Publishers for providing me an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment