Friday, April 15, 2016

Book Review: City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1)

Today's review is on City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

I was a bit apprehensive to read this book, but I wanted to read it to see what all the hype was about. Honestly, it was not my cup of tea at all. It also took me a long time to get through it because I never really got into it.

City of Bones is the first book in The Mortal Instruments series and it is a part of the Shadowhunter universe. It tells the story of Clary who discovers that she is a shadowhunter who goes around killing demons. One thing that was interesting is that this novel feature demons, angels, werewolves, vampires, monsters, warlocks etc. However, even though the author was trying to explain the world she was building, it seemed like overkill for a first book.

The writing style was interesting, I felt like Cassandra Clare did a good job. I didn't really like any of the characters they were all kind of annoying. However, the one thing I did like about the heroine is that her whole focus was on trying to save those that she loves, like her mom, from the beasts of the underworld. This is commendable because so I often I feel like heroines often are just trying to prove themselves and they don't really care who gets hurt in the process, but Clary is different.


Will I read the rest of the series? I don't know, I might try the next book because someone told me that the series gets better, I might also try reading the Infernal Devices trilogy, which is a prequel series, because a lot of people seem to like that better. However, it is not a high priority on my TBR list, basically if I get to it, I get to it. There are so many better books out there that I want to read.

I am giving this book 2.5/5 Stars because I just didn't like it.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L.C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment