Friday, April 1, 2016

Book Review: Playing the Part (A Class of Their Own #3)

Today's review is on Playing the Part by Jen Turano
When I started reading this book, I was expecting it to be a light, fluffy romance. I was wrong, but in a good way. Playing the Part was a pleasant surprise because even though it did have a typical happy ending, there were so many things that happened that I was not expecting. This book was perfect mixture of mystery, intrigue and romance.

This is the third book in the A Class of Their Own series, but it can be read as a stand-alone because the only connection to the other books is that the main character is friends with the other main characters, and it refers to their stories several times. I have not read the other books in this series, but after reading this one, I think I will try and read them sometime in the near future.

Lucetta Plum is an actress who is forced to flee after one of her admirers tries to gain possession of her. She ends up at Ravenwood, a castle situated outside New York City, and meets the eccentric owner, Bram Haverstein. While in hiding she discovers that Ravenwood contain several mysteries of its own, as well as the owner.

I loved the characters in this book, especially Lucetta and Bram who grow as characters, as well as discover that often times there is more to a person than meets the eye. Bram, who is infatuated with Lucetta, discovers that she is not the kind of woman he believed her to be, and that intrigues him. Both are interesting because they believe that the other is so different, but yet they are very similar.
 At times Lucetta came across as too independent, however once more of her back story is revealed it makes sense.My favorite character probably has to be Abigail, Bram's grandmother, because she takes on the role of matchmaker for all the young, single people in her life and how she goes about doing it is so funny.

The plot, as mentioned above, was fantastic. When I thought the novel was going to wrap up all of sudden several plot twists took place that added to the story. I can't go into too much detail because I don't want to give a whole lot away, except to say that the first 100 pages seem to be a typical Christian romance novel, but it gets so much better and so much happens in the rest of the book.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Christian fiction, mystery, or just a good book in general. I am giving this book 4/5 Stars because it surprised me and I loved it.

Thanks again to NetGalley and Bethany House Publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment