Thursday, May 12, 2016

Book Review: Sweet On You (Meddlin' Madeline #1)

Today's review is on Sweet On You by Chautona Havig
Let me start off by saying that Chautona Havig is probably one of my all-time favorite authors. I love her work, especially her serial novels, Past Forward and HearthLand. I also enjoy how she writes in several different genres and not just one, basically if she has an story idea, she goes for it, she doesn't really care about what genre it falls under, and she does a fantastic job!

Sweet on You is a historical detective novel which shows the birth of an amateur detective in 1901. Madeline Brown is the mayor's daughter and loves detective stories, especially Sherlock Holmes. She decides to try her hand at sleuthing after she detects that some is not right about the man that is courting her good friend, Edith. The novel shows Madeline's progression as a sleuth as she experiments with the different techniques that she reads about in her books, however it also causes her to earn a reputation of being meddlesome. I can't say anything more plot wise because it would be a major spoiler to the novel itself.

I loved the characters in this novel, especially Madeline, she was an enjoyable character to watch develop, especially since she is a good mix of both the traditional and  what would be considered modern in this time period. I also appreciated how she had to wrestle with her faith a little bit, especially when it came to her sleuthing and whether or not what she was doing was okay. Another character I really liked was Russell Barnes, who is Madeline's best friend's brother. He definitely watches out for Madeline and isn't afraid to confront her when she is wrong, however he is also willing to help discover more about Edith's suitor. He also tries to keep Madeline out of danger as much as possible.

I really appreciate how hard Ms. Havig tried to make the setting of the novel as authentic to the time period as possible so that reader really feel like the novel takes place (and possibly written) in 1901. I loved how she also mentioned issues that were prominent in 1901, such as the Women's Suffrage Movement and the Temperance movement, and how the various characters viewed these movements.

I also enjoyed the multiple points of view over the course of the novel, the main ones being Madeline and Russell, but there were times when the readers were given a passage from the suspect's point of view, as well as Madeline's well-meaning, but truly meddlesome aunt. It made the novel more enjoyable and the world more alive and easier to understand.

I can't wait to find out what happens next in this series, although I think it will be at least another year until the next novel comes out. The book ended kind of on a cliffhanger and I can't see what will happen next to Madeline.

I am giving this book 4/5 stars because it was well-written, enjoyable, and it held my attention. I also enjoyed how authentic it was to 1901.

I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.

Happy Reading,

Janelle L.C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations, let me know and I will check them out. :)




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I love your review! It made me smile. I hope you enjoy book two!

    ReplyDelete