Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Book Review: The Black Stallion

Today's review is on The Black Stallion by Walter Farley

First off, let me just say that I have no idea why I never read this as a kid, especially when I went through my horse crazy phase! But now, at the age of 21, I have finally read this classic and I loved it. It was a fun read and it was a nostalgic read too because it reminded me of all the series I used to read as a kid such as Heartland, The Saddle Club, The Thoroughbred series, etc.

I picked up this book at the library when I was checking out movies to watch over Spring Break with my friend Michelle. We were looking at the children's section - you are never too old to read books from this section!- and we were talking about a few of the books and she asked me if I had ever read The Black Stallion. I said no and she took it off the shelf and handed it to me and  checked it out to read over Spring Break.

This is a great book for middle-grade readers and it is a book that both boys and girls will enjoy. It is about a  boy name Alec who meets the Black Stallion while journeying back to New York after visiting his uncle in Bombay, India. After a series of events, Alec ends up owning the Black Stallion and starts training him to be a race-horse.

So much happens in this book and it is about 240 pages long and it is easy to fly through it. The only issue that some people might have with this book is that the language is a little bit dated, but it makes sense since it was published in the early 1940's. Alec says the word "swell" way too much, but then again I do say the words "great" and "cool" a lot, so I am in no place to complain about that.

The one question I have is why doesn't Alec give the stallion a name? He keeps referring to him as "the Black." A horse like that deserves a better name than that, oh well, maybe he gives him a name in the other books?

I am giving this book 4/5 Stars because it was an enjoyable, clean read and it was a nice reminder of the kinds of books I used to read growing up.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L.C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment