Thursday, June 9, 2016

Book Review: Worlds of Ink and Shadow

Today's review is on Worlds of Ink and Shadow by Lena Coakley
This was the book I received in my OwlCrate box in January, and I've been longing to read it. Finally over Spring Break I had a chance to dedicate the time to read it. At first it was hard for me to get into, in fact I almost stopped reading because it was such a slow start. However, things started to get interesting about 100 pages in.

The novel is about the Bronte siblings: Charlotte, Emily, Anne and their brother Branwell, who live with their father in a small country parish town. When they were children they created their own worlds and wrote numerous stories set in these worlds. Lena Coakley takes this fact and develops a novel where the Brontes are able to travel to their worlds, which proved to be a very interesting concept.

At first I didn't like the story because it seemed as if the Brontes just had the ability to travel to their worlds, however later it is discovered that this ability comes with a price (to quote Rumpelstiltskin from Once Upon a Time, "All magic comes with a price." ) and it shows how this starts to affect both Charlotte and Branwell who were the first ones to gain this ability to travel to their fictional realms.

The fictional countries that the siblings travel to were actual countries they had created, as well as the characters that live in these fictional countries, which was really interesting. Obviously, the events in the book are fictional, but Coakley tries to use this fictional account of their lives to explain why they all died so young.

It was also interesting to see the various characters and how some of them kind of alluded to the characters in Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, having read both of these novels I got excited when I saw these traits.

I am giving this book 4/5 Stars because even though it was a good book the first half was slow moving and didn't really grab my attention. But once the story started to progress I couldn't put it down.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L.C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment