Friday, July 29, 2016

Book Review: My Sister Jodie

Today's review is on My Sister Jodie by Jacqueline Wilson
I've been a fan of Jacqueline Wilson ever since I read her book Sleepovers when I was 9. I don't know what it is about her books, but I love reading them. I think it it because they deal with situations such as bullying and divorce, but it is done in such a way that younger readers can understand it without it scarring them for life. Her characters are also relatable in some way or another. I haven't read one of her books in about seven years, so it was nostalgic to read something by one of my favorite childhood authors. This was also a new read for me, so it was great to read something different from Jacqueline Wilson and I loved it.

My Sister Jodie is about two sisters Jodie and Pearl who are kind of inseparable, however Jodie starts getting into trouble at school and with her friends. Pearl is quiet and loves reading and making up stories. Just before summer their parents announce that they both have gotten jobs at Melchester College which is a boarding school in the country, and the whole family is going to live there. Pearl is thrilled about this opportunity, but Jodie is not happy about it. Their parents hope that this will help straighten Jodie out, however just the opposite happens. Pearl thrives in this new environment, however Jodie struggles to fit in.

Once again Jacqueline Wilson presents a compelling story that deals with some real issues that kids deal with in a manner in which middle grade readers can understand. It deals with not fitting in, being socially awkward and a few other things that I can't mention because they are spoilers. However, the author does a great job of showing how some children will thrive in a new environment and others will flounder, like Pearl and Jodie.

The novel is told in first person from Pearl's point of view - hence the title, My Sister Jodie. I loved the relationship between Jodie and Pearl even though they are complete opposites they are still close, and how it changes with the move to Melchester College. I loved Pearl because her and I are very similar in that we both love reading and writing and are kind of shy.

 I loved all the characters in this book and I wish that I could get to know some of them more, especially Harley (I think that is his name). I also liked how their parents' reactions to Jodie's antics was pretty realistic, I think most parents would have the same reactions if their daughter was doing those kinds of things.

I am giving this 5/5 stars because it was a quick, entertaining, nostalgic read.Warning the ending is pretty sad so keep a box of tissues next to you when you read it.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L.C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations, let me know and I will check them out! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment