Friday, December 9, 2016

Book Review: Daughter of the Nile

Today's review is on Daughter of the Nile by Jill Eileen Smith
I have been a fan of Jill Eileen Smith ever since I picked up her debut novel, Michal over two years ago at a book store. I was intrigued with the concept of a book focusing on one of King David's wives. When I heard that the author was releasing a novella series about some of King Solomon's wives I knew I had to pre-order the first one. I have read each of these novellas each year when they have come out. And I've loved each one of them!

Daughter of the Nile tells the story of the Egyptian princess that Solomon marries. Not much is said about her in Scripture, but Smith does a good job of fleshing out a possible story for this woman that Scripture is otherwise silent on. Siti is Pharaoh's daughter who is old enough to be married off but she makes a a rash vow to her mother that she will only marry the handsome, wise Israelite king that she has heard a lot about. However, never in her wildest dreams does she believe this will actually come true until Solomon comes to negotiate and make an alliance with her father. The rest of the novella deals with her adjusting to life in a new place, Jerusalem and being just one of Solomon's many wives.

I loved reading this from Siti's perspective, Jill Eileen Smith has away of capturing the characters emotions really well. Even though I disliked her stubbornness, I feel like Siti's conflicts with Solomon over her Egyptian gods was realistic and not sugarcoated.  I also loved Siti's cat, Abdukar, especially how he acts as her sounding board even though he can't really talk back. I also enjoyed Bathsheba's presence in the novel and the counsel that she gives to the Egyptian princess.

I appreciated how the author tried to deal with Solomon turning away from his faith and how Siti blames herself for it, even though she wasn't the only one to blame. I also appreciated the attention to detail, especially when it came to the various aspects of Egyptian culture and religion even though it is only a novella. I felt like the author was able to tell a compelling story without leaving out any of the important details in only 100 pages - and she pulls it off almost flawlessly.

Once again, Jill Eileen delivers a great story and I continue to love her writing even more with each book that I read. I can't wait to read the 4th and final installment in this novella series because it will be about the Queen of Sheba, which should be very interesting. I loved the richness of the details and plot, and I really loved getting to know the characters. I am giving this novella 4/5 Stars.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment