Friday, December 2, 2016

Book Review: Inklings

Today's review is on Inklings by Melanie M. Jeschke
I heard about this book from one of the BookTubers that I follow and when I saw it at the library I knew I had to give it a try, especially since had to do with Oxford and the legacy of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.

The novel is set in the 1960s at Oxford and it follows the story of a young professor, David MacKenzie, who has made a commitment to purity after the death of his mentor C.S. Lewis. He then meets Kate Hughes, who is attending Oxford for a year through her university in the U.S. However, as he starts to get to know her, another student, Lord Stuart Devereux,  has set his sights on her. At the same time, David and his friend Austen have started a new group of the Inklings, following in the footsteps of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Kate finds herself split between these two men and has to decide which one is genuinely interested in a relationship with her.

Before I get into my review it is important to note that Parts I and II read like two separate books and that is because Part I was published as a separate book and Part II was added to it when it was published by Harvest House Publishers. So they are two books, even though they follow the same characters.

I enjoyed this, even though it was slow moving at times, I loved reading about Oxford. I even liked that J.R.R. Tolkien had a cameo role in the book. I also enjoyed the historical setting of the novel, the 1960s because I haven't read many books set during this time period where there were a lot of things going on that still have a lasting impact on the world today.

The romance in the novel was different because it focused on purity in a relationship before marriage,which I liked because some Christian fiction novels can have some scenes that border on steamy even though the couple is not yet married.

I liked the characters, although Kate did get on my nerves sometimes, especially in the second part when she seems to get irrationally upset about certain things. However, she was also relatable because I probably would have reacted the same way as her to those situations. I also liked David, although there were a few times when I felt like he came across as being a bit sanctimonious.

Overall, I enjoyed this book even though it was a slow start. I am giving this book 4/5 Stars because I loved the setting and the focus on purity.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations, let me know and I will check them out! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment