Saturday, December 17, 2016

Bookmas Day 5: Top 5 Classics read in 2016

Today's topic is the Top 5 Classics I read in 2016, however, since I didn't read a whole lot of classics in 2016 (I read quite a few in 2015), I've decided to include some of the books I read last fall.

1. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

This is probably the only classics I have started and finished this year. I enjoyed, although I already knew most of the story line because I had already watched the miniseries about eight years ago. I am also writing my senior thesis on North and South, so I will be rereading it in the next couple of months.

2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 

I finished this in February although I started it in November of 2015. I think this was by third or fourth time rereading it...I can't remember. I've always enjoyed reading it and I enjoyed this time around too.

3. Moby Dick by Herman Melville

I read this last fall for my Romanticism class, in fact click here if you want to read my full review. I actually enjoyed Moby Dick a lot, although it takes some getting used, especially since Melville gives detailed descriptions about almost every thing. It is definitely worth picking up and reading through at least once and I hope to read it again sometime.

4. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 

I also read this for my Romanticism class - I also enjoyed it! And now I get frustrated whenever someone refers to the Frankenstein's monster as Frankenstein!! It is a great book, and creepy too.

5. The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare

Technically this is a play but it definitely counts as a classic. I had to read this for my Shakespeare class that I took in Fall 2015 and this was one of the first plays we read. I had already read it in high school but it is one of my favorite plays because it is the one that made me fall in love with Shakespeare's plays.

Those are the Top 5 classics that I have read in the last year and a half - hopefully I will read more classics in 2017, especially since I am taking a class on Detective Fiction where we will read some classic mystery stories.

Reading Update: 
I was able to read just over 100 pages of Heartless yesterday, I am hoping to finish it today and start my third book, which should be a quick read!

Thanks for read and check back tomorrow for Bookmas Day 6.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment