Saturday, December 24, 2016

Bookmas Day 9: Top 9 Books that I read that were published in 2016

This post was supposed to go up yesterday but I ended up running out of time to do so. I've decided that I am going to continue posting the Bookmas posts each day until Tuesday rather than trying to post the last four today. Technically Bookmas ends today but I am going to count tomorrow and Monday as part of the read-a-thon. Here are the Top 9 books that were published this year that I read this year - just a warning, there will some repeats from previous lists.

1. The Diabolic by S. J. Kincaid
I honestly had no intention of picking this book up when I first heard about it, but I LOVED this book! It was so good and I loved the allusions to ancient Rome and Greece as well as the homage to Star Wars. It surprised me in a good way and I recommend this book to those who enjoyed Illuminae and The Lunar Chronicles.

2. Stars Above by Marissa Meyer
I loved the collection of short stories set in the Lunar Chronicles universe, especially since some of them were back stories of some of the characters in the series which was awesome! It also ended with an epilogue to series which was also fantastic!

3. Sandy Toes by Robin Jones Gunn
I know I've already talked about this book several times but I really enjoyed seeing these characters enter a new phase of their life and just the realistic ups and downs of marriage.

4. Waves of Mercy by Lynn Austin
Waves of Mercy was one of my most anticipated reads this Fall and I had the privilege of being on the launch team for this book. It was a great historical fiction novel set mainly during the Gilded Age and I loved the two parallel story lines of the main characters throughout this book. It is great if you are interested in 19th century American history, as well as Dutch history!

5. Flawed by Cecelia Ahern
I know this book received mixed feelings from a lot of people, but I loved it! I loved the whole idea of this somewhat perfect society where one misstep causes a person to be branded as Flawed and I loved how it kind of deals with the problems within this dystopian society. It also has some allusions to Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter which is also cool to see.

6. Sweet on You by Chautona Havig
I love Chautona Havig's works and I loved this historical mystery. I had the privilege of receiving an ARC for review and it was just great to meet this quirky character and her friends and I can't wait for the second book to come out sometime next year.

7. Worlds of Ink and Shadow by Lena Coakley
It took me a while to get into this book, but one I was hooked I couldn't put it down. I loved reading about the Brontes and the fictional worlds that made up as kids and how the author gave them the ability to travel to these realms. It was also interesting to see the price they had to pay in order to enter into their stories.

8. Heartless by Marissa Meyer
If you haven't already guessed it, Marissa Meyer is one of my favorite YA authors - her books are so good! I loved Heartless, but it was hard to keep reading because I already knew the ultimate ending because it is an origin story about the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland. I read Alice in Wonderland shortly after I finished it and it was interesting to see how Marissa Meyer expanded on some of the elements in the original story.

9. A Spy's Devotion by Melanie Dickerson
I read this earlier this year and I loved reading about spies in the Regency period. I loved the romance between the two characters and the suspense that takes place throughout - I can't wait to read the sequel early next year.

Those are the top 9 books that I read this year that came out this year - there were others but I didn't really like them.

Reading Update: 
I finished Alice in Wonderland on Tuesday and picked up Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige. I am still busy reading it because I haven't had much time to read and I've been spending time with my family and it just hasn't hooked me, but I am definitely going to finish it sometime today or tomorrow.

Thanks for reading and check back here tomorrow for Bookmas Day 10!

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

No comments:

Post a Comment