Pages

Friday, February 3, 2017

What I Read in January

It has been a few weeks since my last post and that is partly due to school. This semester is going to be a busy one, especially until March, but I am determined to keep up with posting starting from this week.
This month was a pretty good reading month until school started and I have no idea how much I will be able to read in February (besides books for school), but I am going to try. Here are the books I read in January:

1. Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
I buddy read this with my friend Allison and we both loved it! It was a really good book and there were several twists that happened that I wasn't expecting. The ending was heart-wrenching and I can't wait to read the rest of the series soon. 4/5 Stars.

2.  The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket 
I flew through this book and it was a great reread, especially since the TV series just came out. There were a couple of things that bugged me as an adult, but I still think it is a great series and I can't wait to read the next book. 3/5 Stars.

3.  Crimson Dagger by Morgan Rhodes 
This is a prequel story to Falling Kingdoms involving Magnus. I really enjoyed it and I am kind of hoping that it somehow the other characters end up in the series. 4/5 Stars.

4. Never Forget by Jody Hedlund 
I enjoyed this sweet romance that takes place against the backdrop of a lighthouse in Rhode Island. I do want to go back and read the rest of the books in this series, although they can be read as stand-alones. I was part of a blog tour a few weeks ago for this book, click here if you would like to read more of my thoughts. 3.5/ 5 Stars.

5.  Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh 
I had very high expectations for this book and they kind of fell flat, however once I got to the second half of the book I really enjoyed it! I loved looking for the Pride and Prejudice allusions against this interesting setting. I will have a longer review up soon. 3.75/5 Stars

6. Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco 
I read this because the group read for the Winter Biannual Bibliothon, and I love anything to do with the Victorian Age, especially since it is dealing with a female forensic scientist. However, this book was a let down and I am still kind of in a reading slump because of this book. I think I had to many expectations and they weren't met. 3/5 Stars.

7. The Inspiration and Authority of Scripture by Rene Pache 
I had to read this for a Theology class that I am taking and I liked, however I had skim through most of it because of deadlines, but the parts that I did read really good and I feel like he deals with a very important issue surrounding Scripture. 4/5 Stars.

8. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 
I read this for my Detective Fiction class and it was pretty good. There was one section where there is a major side story that ends up being connected to the case, but I feel like it could have been shorter. This was a great introduction to Sherlock Holmes (I have read some of the short stories) and I am looking forward to reading more of his stories. 4/5 Stars.

Those are all the books I read in January. I have no idea how many books I will read in February, but I am determined to read at least two books that aren't required for school.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

No comments:

Post a Comment