Pages

Saturday, March 4, 2017

What I read in February

February was a busy month for me schoolwork wise, so I honestly did not expect to get much reading done, especially since I wasn't really in the mood to read for fun. However, about halfway through the month I got out of my reading slump and have been reading a lot more. I managed to read 12 books last month, some for school and some for pleasure. Here are the books I read in February:

1. The Flintstones Issue 1 by Mark Russell, Illustrated by Steve Pugh
I picked this up when I went to a comic book store for the first time about a month ago. I decided to get this because I grew up watching The Flintstones and I wanted to see what they did with the characters. It was okay, but I honestly prefer the original artwork from the TV show. I am probably not going to continue with this series. 2.5/5 Stars

2. Sea Spell by Jennifer Donnelly
This is the last book in the Waterfire Saga. I liked it, but I felt there were certain things that were rushed and it was all wrapped up to neatly. I am sad to see these characters go, and I will have a longer review up soon. 3.75/5 Stars.

3. The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket

4.  Feminism: A Very Short Introduction by Margaret Walters
I read this as a possible source for my senior thesis since it is deals a little bit with the history of feminism. It was a good read for anyone who is interested in finding out more about the roots of feminism and more or less what it is about. It can be read in one sitting, which I appreciated. 4/5 Stars.


5. Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers

This was the second book I had to read for my Detective Fiction class. I enjoyed it, except the copy I had was the size of a normal piece of paper (A4), so it was awkward to read it at times and it took me longer to read a page. I did enjoy the story and found it interesting. 4/5 Stars.

6. Knowing God by J. I. Packer
I had to read this for a Theology class that I am taking. I really enjoyed it, unfortunately I had to speed through it in order to complete it by the deadline. This is definitely a book that I am going to go back and reread in the future. It is a great book that shows the various ways we can know God by describing His attributes. 5/5 Stars.

7. An Uncommon Courtship by Kristi Ann Hunter
I received a copy of this for review from Bethany House Publishers. I will have a full review up probably next week. I did enjoy the plot, it was definitely interesting, however it seemed to lag in certain places and there were a few other things that bothered me. 3.5/5 Stars.

8. Shine Like the Dawn by Carrie Turansky
I posted my review on Shine like the Dawn last week as part of the CelebrateLit Blog Tour. I really enjoyed this story and the tale of forgiveness and moving on from the past. I loved the characters and I definitely want to read more from this author. 4/5 Stars.

9. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
This is the first novel by Agatha Christie that I have read and it was a great introduction to her writing. I enjoyed the story line for the most part and it is definitely worth picking up. 4/5 Stars.

10. Jesus Christ Our Lord by John Walvoord
This is a another book I had to read for my Theology class. It was a defense for the deity of Christ and it was really good. Unfortunately, I also had to speed read this one in order to get it done on time. 5/5 Stars.

11. The Mermaid's Mirror by L. K. Madigan
I picked this up for one of the challenges for Around the Year in 52 Books - this completed the challenge of reading a book that I chose randomly and this one was one that I did. It was just okay, it is about mermaids, but they don't come into play until about the last third of this book which was kind of disappointing and the ending felt rushed and too convenient. I am still trying to decided whether or not I want to do a full review on this. 2.75/5 Stars

12. The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket
The last book I read this month was The Wide Window. I am really enjoying this series and I can't wait to read the rest of this series, I have already requested the bind up editions of the rest of this series just so I can keep reading as soon as I get them and not have to wait until I go to the library again. I enjoyed it, but I still find the definitions/explanations of words annoying. 3/5 Stars.

Those are all the books I read last month and I am hoping that March is as good a reading month!

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. Don't forget to follow me on Instagram (@jazzyjan101), Twitter (@Jlc0904Janelle) and to like The Scribbler Facebook Page 

1 comment: