Pages

Friday, April 7, 2017

What I read in March

March ended up being a good reading month for me even though I had a lot of big assignments due. I had a week off for Spring Break and during my break I challenged myself to read as much as I could that week and I managed to read seven books during that time. Here are the books that I read in March:

1. First and Then by Emma Mills

This book was a contemporary YA novel that is is a loose Pride and Prejudice retelling. It was an okay read, it was kind of slow for the most part and there was bad language, which in some ways made it sound more realistic. I loved the finding the Pride and Prejudice elements in this novel and I identified with the main character! I will have longer review up soon. 3/5 Stars.

2. By Your Side by Kasie West
This was a cute story where the boy and girl are locked in a library over a weekend and get to know each other and what happens once they get out of the library and go back to reality. I am looking forward to reading more books by Kasie West. 4/5 Stars

3. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
I had to read this for my Detective Fiction class. It was interesting to read about the hard-boiled detective and the seedy underworld. It is very different from the likes of Agatha Christie's mysteries or Sherlock Holmes, but it was entertaining, however it wasn't my favorite. 3/5 Stars.

4. The Holy Spirit by Charles C. Ryrie
I had to read this for my Christian Theology class. It as a comprehensive study of The Holy Spirit and his role and attributes. I really enjoyed it and it definitely answered some of my questions regarding the Holy Spirit! I want to read this again sometime in the future. 5/5 Stars.

5. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Just Listen was an interesting read, however it took me a while to get into it, but once I was 100 pages in I loved it. I found the main character relatable and she felt real and three-dimensional. I liked seeing the struggles that she dealt with and I loved the romance in it. 3.75/ 5 Stars.

6. Wires and Nerve Vol. 1 by Marissa Meyer
I loved the Lunar Chronicles and I loved this first volume of Iko the android's story! I can't wait to find out what happens in volume two. 5/5 Stars.

7. Ronit and Jamil by Pamela L. Laskin
This was a Romeo and Juliet retelling set in modern-day Israel and deals with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It was told in verse and I enjoyed it, but it was too short and it left me with more questions about what happened to main characters in the end. 3.75/5 Stars

8. The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket
The Miserable Mill is the fourth book in the A Series of Unfortunate Events series and I like this series, I still find the word definitions annoying though! 3/5 Stars.

9. The Secret of a Heart Note by Stacey Lee
This was an interesting book that had magic realism and love potions. However, I never really connected with characters a whole lot and it didn't draw me in a whole lot. It was a cute plot though! 3/5 Stars.

10. The Austere Academy by Lemony Snicket
I liked this fifth installment in the A Series of Unfortunate Events. 3/5 Stars

11. Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes
Rebel Spring is the second book in the Falling Kingdoms series and it was great follow up to the first book. The last few chapters of this book were super intense and I didn't know what to do with myself after I finished it. I can't wait to read Gathering Darkness soon! 4/5 Stars

12. The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket
The Ersatz Elevator was an interesting installment in the A Series of Unfortunate Events. And it was a really quick read. 3/5 Stars.

13. 21 Days of Grace compiled by Kathy Ide
This was a great devotional for fiction lover's and I really enjoyed it! Click here to read my review! 4/5 Stars.

14. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
I have been listening to the audiobook for several months. Although I liked it, I didn't love it and it was hard to get into it. 3/5 Stars

15.  Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson
I haven't read a lot of comics and I picked this one up to fulfill one of the challenges for Around the Year in 52 books. It was a good introduction to the series and I have already read the 2nd volume! 3/5 Stars

16. Such A Tease by Chautona Havig
This is a sequel to Sweet on You. I liked it but it was hard to keep up with the changes in the points of view. Click here to read my review. 3/5 Stars.

17. The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
This was another book I had to read for my Detective Fiction class. It had an interesting ending and it was intense. Once again it dealt with the underbelly of Los Angeles society in 1939 and the hard-boiled detective. 3/5 Stars 

Those are all the books I read in March! I hope April also ends up to be a good reading month! 

Happy Reading, 
Janelle L. C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment