Pages

Monday, May 8, 2017

What I Read In April

April ended up being a good reading month for me despite the fact that I was finishing school. Part of it is due to the fact that I've been on a graphic novel kick lately and read quite a few last month. Here are all the books that I read in April:

1. Here by Richard McGuire
This was an interesting graphic novel which follows a corner of a room over a span of several million years. It jumps around a lot and it isn't consecutive, but the date is given in each panel. I liked it because we see this corner of the room from all the way back in the prehistoric era all the way through to over 200 years in the future. It was just fascinating to see all the changes that happen, especially from the late 1800s when the corner of the room is just a piece of open land to when it became a house! I gave it 3.5/5 Stars because all though I loved the concept, some of the artwork left much to be desired.

2. Ms Marvel Vol. 2 - Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson
This was a continuation of the events of the first volume and Wolverine made a guest appearance in this volume. 4/5 Stars.

3. Lit! by Tony Reinke
I re-read this book for a speech I did on the benefits of reading. It was a great re-read and it is a book that I think other Christians will find beneficial whether or not they are a reader or not! 5/5 Stars.

4. The Vile Village by Lemony Snicket
The seventh installment of A Series of Unfortunate Events was interesting and it had kind of a sad ending (which made sense). 3.5/5 Stars.

5. Principles of Public Speaking by Kathleen German, et. al

I had to read this for my Spoken Communications class, it was a little bit interesting but I also skimmed most of it.

6. From Socrates to Sartre by T. Z. Lavine

This was one of two books I had to read for my Philosophy class semester and it was okay. I'm not a big fan of philosophy but Lavine does a good job of presenting the different philosophies that he deals with through out this book.

7. Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill

Ever the Hunted was an interesting read although it took me a while to get into it. I did enjoy the story, although I expected there to be more action. It ended on a cliffhanger which was interesting and made want to read the next book, but I also didn't like it and I can't say what it is because it is a spoiler to the end of the book. 4/5 Stars.

8. Ms. Marvel Vol. 3 - Crushed by G. Willow Wilson
I really enjoyed the third installment in this comic book series and Loki made a guest appearance as well! 4/5 Stars

9. Ms. Marvel Vol. 4 - Last Days by G. Willow Wilson
The 4th installment in this series was interesting and the original Ms. Marvel, Carol Danvers (aka Captain Marvel) appeared in this volume. It was interesting story line but I have no idea how it ended. 4/5 Stars

10. Ms. Marvel Vol. 5 - Super Famous by G. Willow Wilson
This picks up a few months after the end of Volume 4, but I have no idea what ended up happening so that the impending disaster was averted, which was confusing. But a new story line started that is somewhat interesting and I can't wait to read Volume 6. 3.5/5 Stars.

11. Princeless Book 1 - Save Yourself by Jeremy Whitley
This was an interesting graphic novel that turns the damsel in distress trope on its head and I love it! I can't wait to continue on with the series! 4/5 Stars.

12. The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1 - Squirrel Power by Ryan North
This was also an interesting start to a comic book series and I can't wait to pick up the rest of this series. Squirrel girl is just interesting and funny and I loved reading the first four issues as well as the original comic that she appeared in with Iron Man back in the '90s. 4/5 Stars.

13. The Hostile Hospital by Lemony Snicket
I enjoyed this 8th installment in A Series of Unfortunate Events. Each book makes me despise Count Olaf even more and more and, this sounds horrible, but I really hope he gets what is coming to him. I can't go into too much detail about this novel because it will spoil the ending of the 7th book. 3.5/5 Stars.

14. An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James
I read this for my Detective Fiction class. It was an interesting read especially since it is set in the '70s and deals with the issue of women's rights.  I enjoyed it and Cordelia Gray was an interesting detective and I loved how she dealt with the various issues that she had to deal with. 4/5 Stars.

15. At Your Request by Jen Turano
At Your Request is a prequel to Jen Turano's new series, Apart From the Crowd. It was great introduction to the characters of the series and I loved the romance that takes place in this novella. 4/5 Stars.

16. Passion for the Western Mind by Richard Tarnas
The second book I had to read for my Philosophy class. It was interesting, but it was also hard to understand at times and I ended up skimming most of it.

17. Behind the Scenes by Jen Turano
I really enjoyed Behind the Scenes, especially the historical background. It was a fun read even though I wish there had been more focus on the intrigue of the novel. It was also a cute romance and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series. 4/5 Stars.


Did Not Finish:
Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken
I read Passenger last year, however I didn't really enjoy it but I still wanted to find out what happened next. However, I started reading Wayfarer and it dragged so much!

And those are all the books I read in April and I hope May is also a good reading month.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S.  Don't forget to subscribe to the blog and follow me on Twitter (@Jlc0904Janelle), Instagram (@jazzyjan101), and to like The Scribbler Facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. I've been seeing Ms. Marvel around for ages (especially the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel) --I keep meaning to give it a shot. =)

    "Here" sounds really interesting also --I gotta see if our library system has it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete