Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Book Review: Deep Blue (The Waterfire Saga #1)

Today's review is on Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly
This summer I have really been in the mood for mermaid books, and when I saw this at my public library I immediately picked this up because I've had my eye on it for a couple of years. I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but I loved it!

Deep Blue tells the story of Serafina who is a princess of Miromara and is next in line to take the throne. The night before the ceremony in which it will be proven whether she will be the next queen and betrothed to a prince, she has a nightmare. However, she shakes it off and the ceremony goes well, until her kingdom is attacked by a group assassins and Serafina and her friend Neela go on the run and on a quest to find out who attacked Miromara and what it means to the seven seas as a whole.

This book is a middle-grade/YA fantasy series about mermaids and Jennifer Donnelly does a good job at the world-building, which was kind of complex - a whole world under the sea. However, it wasn't an info-dump which often tends to happen in fantasy books. There was also a magic system that all the merfolk use that was very interesting and definitely made the plot more interesting.

I loved the plot because even though it was somewhat straightforward, there were several different things that happened that I wasn't really expecting to happen until it happened. I enjoyed the mythology surrounding how the merfolk came into existence (spoiler: it has something to do with Atlantis), and how that whole origin story has an effect on the plot of the novel and the rest of the series. I also think that the mythology was made up by the author, if that is true that makes this book even more awesome.

I really enjoyed the characters, even though for most of the novel we only really get to know Serafina and Neela a lot. I also liked all the different side characters that were introduced throughout this book. I loved all the characters in this book and I can't wait to find out more about them.

I am giving this book 4/5 stars because I felt like this was a great introduction to the rest of the series, which I will definitely be reading in the near future.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment