Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Book Review: The Wish by Beverly Lewis

Today's review is on The Wish by Beverly Lewis.
I would like to thank Bethany House Publishers for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I have been a fan of Beverly Lewis' books ever since I picked up a bind-up of her Summerhill Secrets series when I was 13. I love how she explores the world of Amish and each time I read one of her books I learn something new about the Amish people.

The Wish is about a young Amish woman, Leona Speicher, who becomes close friends with Gloria Gingerich whose family had recently moved to Lancaster County from Arkansas. The two woman are like sisters and do everything together. One day that all changes when Gloria's family decides to move back to Arkansas when her father refuses to submit to the leadership of the church in their district. However, the Gingerich just leaves and no one hears from them again until three years after their sudden departure when Leona receives a letter from her former best friend. Leona is shocked to discover that the Gingerich family has completely left the Amish church and become "fancy." However, Gloria feels empty and reaches out to Leona for help. Leona decides to go visit Gloria in hopes of bringing her back to the faith of her childhood. But, Leona's fiance worries that she might get hurt in the process.

 I loved getting know Leona and see her courtship with Tom Ebersol, it was also interesting to see how much he had to learn to trust her when she goes to find Gloria. Gloria Gingerich was also a good character and I enjoyed seeing her struggle with her new life outside of the Amish community and the faith of her childhood. I think it showed a realistic depiction of how hard it is to make a life-changing decision. I really did not like Gloria's dad, I felt like he was just this despicable character that was only looking out for his own good and not the good of his family but I think that was the intent.

The book itself moved smoothly, it wasn't a quick read but I think that was due to the reading slump that I was in for while (thankfully I am out of it now!). This is a great read if you are interested in finding out more about the Amish community and if you are looking for a quick, light-hearted read. I liked that we got three POVs: Leona, Tom and Gloria, it had some more insights to plot and the various characters in the novel.

I am giving this book 3.75/5 Stars because it started out kind of slow but once I got a 100 pages into it I sped through it. Beverly Lewis continues to write great novels about the Amish people and I can't wait to see what she writes next.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment