Friday, June 23, 2017

Book Review: Flawed

Today's review is on Flawed by Cecelia Ahern
I have been a fan of Cecelia Ahern's books since I was about 14 when I came across a copy of Thanks For The Memories at my high school library. I have read almost all of her books and when I heard she was releasing her YA debut I knew I had to get it!

Flawed is set in a future society which is kind of dystopian, although not really. Celestine is the model citizen, she is a great student and a dutiful daughter. However, one day Celestine makes an instinctive decision in which she is arrested and could possibly be branded Flawed. To receive the brand makes one a social outcast and there are different rules that the Flawed are forced to live by. She ultimately does end up branded (this is not a spoiler) and has to learn to live a life that is very different from the one she used to live, as well as discover that everything is not as perfect as it seems.

First off, I really enjoyed this book! I know it probably has common tropes found YA and dystopian novels, but I haven't read a whole lot of dystopian books and Flawed was great! I loved the world and I loved that even though not a lot happens in the book there are several twists that surprised me, for example the villain ends up being more villainous than when he/she first appears (if that makes sense at all). It also dealt with corruption and how sometimes when something seems so perfect it can actually be a cover-up for something sinister.

I loved Celestine, I enjoyed seeing her develop as a character throughout the book and how she has to adjust to living the life of a Flawed person. I also enjoyed watching her discover that her world wasn't as black and white, or perfect as it seemed before the whole ordeal started. I also liked getting to know the side characters in this book.

Cecelia Ahern definitely proved that she is a dynamic writer in that she can almost write in any genre she wants to because she is both a great contemporary author, and Flawed definitely shows that she is a good YA author. I really enjoyed seeing the small allusions to The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne throughout the book and how she used the concept of being branded with an "F" for Flawed.

I can't wait for Perfect to come out early next year because I am excited to see what happens next, although it will be the conclusion because I believe it is only a duology.

I gave this book 4.5/5 Stars because I loved it and I enjoyed the world-building even though it did contain some common tropes throughout the story.

Happy Reading,
Janelle L. C.

P.S. If you have any book recommendations let me know and I will check them out! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I have started to read this myself being a fan if dystopian and YA fiction.

    ReplyDelete